The functions of the Legal Aid Department are as follows:
- To give legal advice on all legal matters (Fourth Schedule)
- To represent or provide legal assistance in proceedings in all courts in Malaysia within the jurisdiction as provided in the Second Schedule (criminal jurisdiction)
- Third Schedule (civil jurisdiction) of the Legal Aid Act 1971
- To provide mediation service
- Tp provide legal companion service
- To promote legal awareness to the general public on their rights under the law.